About Our Residence
At Hospice Peterborough, there will always be someone to welcome clients and visitors and help everyone find their way.
The Hospice Residence is bright, accessible, calm and safe and include:
- 10 private bedrooms overlooking green space and gardens
- The Oasis Room, a quiet reflective space
- A lounge for visits with family and friends
- A light-filled Great Room with a welcoming fireplace
- A family kitchenette and dining area
- A peaceful, private garden with an accessible outdoor patio
- An accessible shower and bathtub in a room where residents will be supported
- An accessible washroom with shower where family visitors can freshen up
Resident Care Program
The Hospice Residence opened in April 2019 and provides around the clock professional care in a tranquil environment for 10 residents at the end of life. The focus is on expert and compassionate care and quality of life, not cure. Care at the Hospice Residence builds on the supports Hospice has provided in the community since 1988.
Most clients come to the Hospice Residence in their last two weeks of life when they can no longer stay in their own home because their care needs are too great. Care is provided by registered nurses 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Other members of the care team include personal support workers, physicians, counsellors and volunteers. Care in the Hospice Residence addresses all aspects of the clients well-being – physical, psychological, social, spiritual, cultural and practical.
The new Hospice Residence is not meant to replace Peterborough Regional Health Centre’s Palliative Care Unit but to offer another choice for care at end of life.
There is no charge for staying in the residence.
Becoming A Resident
All Hospice programs and services are offered free of charge to Ontario residents of all ages living in the City and County of Peterborough. Similar to being at home, drug benefits are covered under the Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) card. Prescriptions not covered by ODB or dispensing costs are charged to the resident.
Your physician or Nurse Practitioner can make a referral on your behalf for assessment of eligibility.
I Am Approaching the Last Weeks of Life
The Hospice Residence provides professional, 24-hour, end-of-life care in a tranquil environment.
- The focus is on compassionate care and quality of life, not cure.
- Care addresses all aspects of well-being – physical, psychological, social, spiritual, cultural and practical.
- Most clients will stay for their last two weeks when they can no longer stay in their own home because their care needs are too great.
- Care is provided by registered nurses 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Other members of the care team include physicians, personal support workers,
counsellors and volunteers.
- Ten private bedrooms overlook green space.
- Care at the Hospice Residence builds on the supports Hospice has provided in the community since 1988.
Any additional information may be received by calling Hospice Peterborough directly at (705) 742-4042 and speaking with a residence team member.
Tours can also be arranged for clients and families who are considering an admission to the residence.