Opening in February 2019, the Hospice Residence will provide around the clock professional care in a tranquil environment for 10 clients at end of life. The focus will be on compassionate care and quality of life, not cure. Care at the Hospice Residence will build on the supports Hospice has provided in the community since 1988.
Most clients will come to the Hospice Residence in their last two weeks of life when they can no longer stay in their own home because their needs are too great. Care will be provided by nurses 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Other members of the care team will include physicians, personal support workers, counsellors and volunteers. Care in the Hospice Residence will address all aspects of your well-being – physical, psychological, social, spiritual, cultural and practical.
At Hospice Peterborough, there will always be someone to welcome clients and visitors and help everyone find their way.
The Hospice Residence will be bright, accessible, calm and safe and include:
- 10 private bedrooms overlooking green space and gardens; one large enough to accommodate pediatric palliative care
- The Oasis Room, a quiet reflective space
- A lounge for visits with family and friends
- A light-filled Great Room with a welcoming fireplace
- A family kitchenette and dining area
- A peaceful, private garden with an accessible outdoor patio
- A spa room where clients will be supported to use the accessible shower and bathtub
- An accessible washroom with shower where visitors can freshen up
The new Hospice Residence is not meant to replace Peterborough Regional Health Centre’s palliative care unit but to offer another choice for care at end of life.
Hospice Peterborough is currently working with the Central East Local Health Integration Network to finalize the Residence admission process. We expect a finalized admission process by late autumn 2018.
All Hospice programs and services are offered free of charge to residents of all ages living in the City and County of Peterborough.