The Palliative Pain and Symptom Management Consultation Service (PPSMC) provides specialized palliative care support and consultation to community health care providers such as family physicians, nurses, Access Centre case managers, and staff of long term care facilities.
The service is available throughout the counties of Haliburton, Peterborough Northumberland and the City of Kawartha Lakes. Any healthcare provider may contact the service by completing and faxing (705-742-0064) the PPSM Referral Form.
The PPSMC Service is founded on the belief that:
- Pain and distressing symptoms can be alleviated
- Palliative care exists to affirm life
- Those who are ill (and their families) benefit from the assistance of a skilled multidisciplinary team
What does the service offer?
- Telephone / email / teleconferencing and onsite consultation on palliative care and pain and symptom management to healthcare providers in the community or LTC Homes
- Links to multidisciplinary team members for advice and support
- Education, training and mentorship through workshops and conferences
- Resources – ie. Palliative Pain and Symptom Management Booklet for clients
To reach the PPSM Consultant, Hospice Peterborough or send an email message to .
For clinical questions regarding palliative care, after hours or on weekends:
- Call the Palliative Care Unit of Peterborough Regional Health Centre, Peterborough, at 1(705)740-8050
- Northumberland Hills Hospital, Cobourg at 905-372-6811, extenstion 3219
- Ross Memorial Hospital, Lindsay at 1(705)324-6111, extension 4918